ENACTMENT NO. 09 OF 2002
SYARIAH CRIMINAL PROCEDURE (STATE OF MALACCA) ENACTMENT 2002
PART III - OTHER GENERAL PROVISIONS
CHAPTER 2 - OF ARREST, ESCAPE AN RE-ARREST
Section 22. How person arrested is to be dealt with and detention for more than twenty-four hours.
(1) A Religious Enforcement Officer or police officer making an arrest without a warrant under this Enactment shall without unnecessary delay and subject to the provisions in this Enactment as to bail or previous release, take or send the person arrested before a Judge of a Syariah Subordinate Court.
(2) No Religious Enforcement Officer or police officer shall detain in custody a person arrested without a warrant for a longer period than is reasonable under all the circumstances of the case.
(3) Such period shall not exceed twenty-four hours, exclusive of the time necessary for the journey from the place of arrest to the Court.
(4) When the person arrested is brought before the Court, the Court shall immediately hear the charge against him or adjourn the case.
(5) If the case against the accused is adjourned, the accused shall, unless he is released on bail, be remanded in prison or police custody under a remand warrant issued by a Judge which shall be in Form I of the Schedule.
Copyright © PNMB-LawNet. All rights reserved.