ENACTMENT NO. 12 OF 1985
ADMINISTRATION OF ISLAMIC FAMILY LAW ENACTMENT 1985
PART III - REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGES
Section 29. Registration of foreign marriage of a person resident in Terengganu.
(1) Where any person who is a resident of Terengganu has contracted a valid marriage according to Hukum Syara' abroad, not being a marriage registered under section 22, and the marriage has not been registered abroad, registration of the marriage shall be effected within two months of the first arrival of either or both of the parties in Malaysia by the party or both parties appearing before any Registrar in Terengganu and-
(a) producing to the Registrar the certificate of marriage or such evidence, either of marriage or such evidence, either oral or documentary, as may satisfy the Registrar that the marriage did take place and that it is valid according to Hukum Syara';
(b) furnishing such particulars as may be required by the Registrar for the due registration of the marriage; and
(c) applying in the prescribed form for the registration of the marriage and subscribing the declaration therein.
(2) The Registrar may dispense with the appearance of one of the parties if he is satisfied that there exists good and sufficient reason for the absence of the party, and in that case the entry in the Marriage Register shall inc1ude a statement of the reason for the absence.
(3) For the purpose of satisfying himself under subsection (1) (a) that the marriage did take place and that it is valid according to Hukum Syara', the Registrar shall have regard to, but shall not be obliged to accept as conclusive, any matter contained in any foreign certificate or document.
(4) Upon the registration of a marriage under this section, a certified copy of the entry in the Marriage Register signed by the Registrar shall be delivered or sent to the husband and another copy to the wife, and another certified copy shall be sent, within such period as may be prescribed, to the Chief Registrar who shall cause all such certified copies to be bound together to constitute the Foreign Muslim Marriages Register.
(5) Where the parties to a marriage required to be registered under this section have not appeared before a Registrar within the period specified in subsection (1), the marriage may, upon application to the Registrar, be registered later on payment of such penalty as may be prescribed.
Copyright © PNMB-LawNet. All rights reserved.