ENACTMENT NO. 6 OF 2002
ISLAMIC FAMILY LAW ENACTMENT 2002
PART III - REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGES
Section 33. Voluntary registration of Muslim marriages previously solemnized under any law
(1) Notwithstanding sections 6 and 31, the parties to any marriage according to Hukum Syarak solemnized under any law prior to or after the appointed date may, if the marriage has not been registered, apply at any time to a Registrar in the prescribed form for registration of the marriage.
(2) The Registrar may require the parties to the marriage to appear before him and to produce such evidence of the marriage, either oral or documentary, and to furnish such other particulars as may be required by him.
(3) The Registrar may, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements contained in the application, register the marriage by entering the particulars thereof in the Marriage Register prescribed for this purpose.
(4) The entry of the marriage in the Marriage Register shall be signed by the Registrar making the entry and by both parties to the marriage, if available, or otherwise, by whichever party who appears before the Registrar.
(5) Upon the registration of the marriage, a certified copy of the entry in the Marriage Register signed by the Registrar and sealed with his seal of office shall be delivered or sent to the husband and another copy to the wife and a third shall be sent to the Chief Registrar.
(6) The Registrar shall not register a marriage under this section if he is satisfied that the marriage is void under this Enactment.
Copyright © PNMB-LawNet. All rights reserved.